When you work in Liverpool as electrical contractors you begin to notice that there are numerous electrical issues which seem to occur across companies and homes alike. With it coming up to Christmas we felt it important to address some of the common issues that can surround your Christmas lights.
They may appear all shimmering and glistening like snow wouldn’t melt on their filament, but you have to remember that these snakes of lights are brimming with electricity and therefore harbour a serious potential for causing harm. So it’s important to make sure you, your family and your co-workers take heed when enjoying your Christmas lights during the festive season.
Selecting the Right Light
It’s important to check that the lights you are installing are suited to the purpose for which you are installing them. Do not use indoor lights to decorate the outside of your building. Doing so can result in not only an electric shock, but fire. Always check the packaging of your lights to make sure that you are using them correctly and in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Inspect Your Lights
Before you begin to decorate your home or workplace lovingly in the festive spirit, it may be a bit of a pain but you must inspect all your lights. If there is any sign of damage then you need to rethink your lighting arrangement! While you can replace broken bulbs, if your cords or plugs are damaged then you are best to replace your decoration. If you’ve gone through the process of plugging them in prior to checking them, make sure you unplug your lights before changing bulbs or making any other repairs, such as changing the fuse.
Everybody likes to see a festive room well lit, but if you overload any extension plugs or plug sockets, then you risk a fire. It pays to check on your light’s wires every so often in order to make sure that they aren’t overheating from being on too long. If you find that your lights are beginning to overheat, the simple trick is to turn them off! Give them a rest! Also, make sure that you turn your lights off before you leave. It makes no sense leaving a potential fire hazard on its own, particularly as all it will be doing is lighting up an empty room!
When it comes to Christmas lights, it’s all about common sense. If you see the lights aren’t fit for purpose, or if you can see that a plug socket is being overloaded, do something about it! The last thing you want over Christmas is to get electrocuted or burn your building down, and they’re very real possibilities if you take risks with your Christmas lights. Equally, if you’ve found that you’ve gotten yourself into an electrical pickle and require the help of some industry professionals, don’t hesitate to contact our team. You can get in touch with us on 0151 482 5534, where we are always eager to help make sure you and yours have a wonderful and safe Christmas.