Electrical items are used in the home by anyone and everyone on a day to day basis. Government statistics indicate that electricity causes more than 20,000 accidental fires a year; nearly half of them are in the home. Every year, around 70 people are killed and at least 300,000 suffer fatal injuries due to an electricity related incident in the home.
Today we use more electrical appliances than ever. In the past the typical UK home had a stereo system, one TV and a VCR, but today the UK home usually has a couple of TVs, Blu-Ray DVD player, video games console, a couple of smartphones, satellite receiver, a desktop, and a microwave. It’s more important than ever to get regular electrical inspections.
There are, however, warning signs that you should be looking out for.
Old and damaged wiring is one of the biggest causes of electrical fires in the home. This can be easily avoided by having regular electrical services, such as inspections, on the state of your cables, sockets, switches and other electrical accessories. There are signs you should be looking for to determine the age of electrical installations in your home:
- Cables covered in lead or fabric (prior to the 1960s)
- Cables covered in black rubber (disengaged in the 1960s)
- Wall-mounted light switches in bathrooms (prior to the 1960s)
- A fusebox with a back made of wood, cast iron switches or a disorganised combination of fuse boxes (prior to the 1960s)
Cables that are flexible can cause electrical shocks, fires and burns after becoming frayed through general use; you should get them replaced to prevent fatal damages. Touching bare live wires won’t leave you with comical frizzy hair and cartoon smoke coming out your ears… it can be fatal.
Extension Leads and Adaptors
Due to the current home living involving the use of an increasing number of electrical appliances, the average number of sockets needed for an average room has increased from four to eight. Extension leads and adaptors often deliver a quick and easy answer, but unfortunately they are often misused through people buying cheap and inferior adaptors and piggy-backing adaptors on other adaptors. This can cause the adaptors to overheat which can lead to fires.
Installing down lighters incorrectly, choosing the wrong down lighter or fitting the incorrect replacement lamp can increase the likelihood of a serious fire in your home. In such a situation, you should always choose a registered electrician.
If you ever feel unsure with addressing your electrical issues, it’s imperative that you don’t take it on yourself to tamper; it can be fatal. If you’re in the Liverpool area, why not contact one of our Liverpool electrical contractors? We can address any electrical issues or concerns that you may have without you needing to lift a finger… except maybe to dial our team on 0151 482 5534!